Saturday, January 30, 2010

The First InterStim Procedure

The IV continues in my arm giving me fluids and an antibiotic. The anesthesiologist explains everything that is going to happen, as well as the Drs are also talking to me from time to time. I am fully awake during the entire procedure. There is NOTHING to fear about being awake.

I was really proud that 'my' Dr. actually did the procedure under the guidance of the Medtronic Representative.

I heard someone announce the time that the procedure actually began and then again when it ended. It was about an hour and a half to two hours total.

The procedure involved quite a few needle pokes. No worse than a mild bee stings. Sometimes I didn't even feel the needle. Most of these needles were for pain killing and numbing the area where the Dr. was working. Every time a needle was getting ready to be used, my anesthesiologst would say, " a bee sing" or something simelar. We talked back and forth at times during the procedure.

My Dr. inserted several leads and tested them. You have to be awake so you can tell them if you feel it. If working correctly you will feel them in your vaginal area, in your butt cheeks, your foot, and also in the rectum or beside it. They ask you to tell them if you feel it, and so I did each time. There's no need to be ashamed to say you feel it in the rectum, because that's where they want you to feel it. They can also see these parts of your body quiver. All of this is done to make sure it's done right.

You don't have to worry about getting shocked or anything like that. To me the sensation is like having a fluttering butterfly inside, NOT at all uncomfortable or painful or worrisome. When they were testing the vaginal area, I laughed and said, "Does this thing give orgasms?" I am not without inserting alittle humor every now and then.

My Dr did something with the wires called 'tunneling' and I definately felt that, but it was literally no more than two seconds, and he gave me more injections of pain killer. So I have no complaints about that.

At the end of the procedure I received four stitches, and felt a couple of those, but otherwise, I can tell you that beyond the needle pokes that were not bad, the procedure is infact pretty much painless.

The outside stimulator is attached and you are almost finished. They clean you off really well with another cold solution that made me giggle because they were tickling me. They were chuckling along with me. But the Dr. explained they had to clean me off so I wouldn't begin to itch.

They had to pull the tape off that was holding my rear end open and I chuckled that that felt like 'duct tape' ripping and we were laughing again about it. The bandages were all put in place and they had me literally roll off the operating table to the rolling bed. I was pleasently surprised to see that I could lay on my back!

I was not in any pain at all. It was GREAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment