Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rolling into the Operating Room

I'm not sure why they roll a patient into the operating room backwards. Perhaps its less stressful, I'm not sure, but I was so ready for this procedure!

They wheeled me next to the operating table that was piled high with at least six pillows. Three to elevate my butt and three for my chest. There was a purple foam head rest for me as I had to face down for the procedure.

I was basically naked as they unhooked the gown from the back and helped me climb onto the table. Wasn't so sure how I'd do with that narrow table and all of those pillows but it worked really well.

There were several people in the operating room besides my two Doctors, including at least one man, I'm not sure what his job was, but oh well. I'm certain I'm not the first naked woman he or anyone else has seen. Everything is very professional, and I was truly excited to be on my way to having a better life.

I had a female anesthesiologist. She was really nice. She slipped an oxygen mask on me and the tube fit in an insert to the foam head rest. She asked me if I would like to listen to some music and I said, sure, anything relaxing. She put on Motzart and some of the other great composers, as she had an Ipod with a docking station near my head and the music was amazing and relaxing.

I could hear the Drs. and everyone getting me prepped. I didn't realize until it was over that they put a blue sheet up between my head and the procedure, similar to when a woman gets a c section.

The preparation for the procedure involves cleaning the area with a very cold solution that made me giggle it was so cold! It also includes taping the butt cheeks open with a strong tape (I'll explain why later) and covering all of the parts of me that did not require to be exposed. Too late, it had already been exposed to everyone...lol, but it's so professional that it didn't matter to me and I KNEW beyond all doubt that I was well on my way to a much better life.

I pretty much relaxed as everyone did the prep and enjoyed the music. My anesthesiologist was awesome. She told me everything I needed to know, just before it was done and God Bless her!

My experience was very positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment