Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Interstitial Cystitis and the Cystoscopy







If I sound like I am a broken record it is because this broken record is truly greatful. Greatful for a Dr. that is exceptional. He is a true professional and as far as I am concerned, top of his class.

Today I had my third cystoscopy for the purpose of checking the condition of the inside of my bladder and the progression of my Interstitial Cystitis. For those of you who do not know what a cystoscopy is, there are a number of ways the procedure can be done. My Dr. performs the cystoscopy in his office in a special room that is set up for the procedure.

As a patient you must strip down below the waist and lay on a table. You must scoot to the end of the table. Underneath where your bottom is, is a stainless steel pan to catch the fluid that will be put in your bladder during the procedure.

The nurse preps you by spraying a pain killer on you and inserting the first instrument. Then the Dr. comes in and inserts the camera into the bladder. It is not painful, just slightly uncomfortable for about two seconds. Once in the bladder he fills the bladder with fluid and there is a light so that you can see the inside of the bladder on the color screen. I always watch. My Interstitial Cystitis looked about the same to me, if not slightly better. I did ask what some large flesh colored patches were and he said that they were scar tissue that formed because my bladder had been working too hard. The blisters are clearly evident inside my bladder if not bigger in some areas. The Dr said he saw no evidence of cancer, but wants to see me again for another cystoscopy 'sooner' rather than 'later'....which will be in December. I believe he will biopsy me again at that time. My InterStim was on and it would have been a chore to turn it off for a biopsy......so that will most likely be done in December. The last time there was no cancer in the blisters, so I'm pretty confident that I'll be okay until I am checked again in December.

For anyone who will be facing a cystoscopy, do not be afraid. It does not hurt and it's very interesting to see how your body is doing.

I am greatful for my Dr.!




No comments:

Post a Comment