Thursday, February 11, 2010

Scarred for "LIFE"!











I took the plunge this morning. I looked over my shoulder in the bathroom mirror to see what my scar looked like after having the InterStim device implanted. As I looked at my scar, I thought, "boy, I'm scarred for life!" I went back to lay down and rest. I began thinking about what I had just said to myself..."scarred for life". What a profound statement. One often thinks of being scarred for life after a traumatic event. A soldier returns from the battlefield to face post traumatic stress disorder. A person survives a car accident yet is afraid to get back in a car. There are many different things that come into our lives that can leave permanent scars on who we are and what we are. But for me, when I got to thinking about that phrase, I had to think of it much differently. Why? Well, for the last couple of years I have had no real life. I've suffered so bad. Always in the bathroom, never sleeping enough, trying to work and function when all I wanted was some relief from the relentless trips to the bathroom. Since having the InterStim I have a life again. I am not married to the bathroom or the misery of constant trips to it. I HAVE MY "LIFE" BACK!!!! I will be able to go places and do things once I heal without having to panic and worry where the nearest bathroom is. So yes, yes, I'll take that scar. I'd take twenty more just like it if I had too because it's brought me back my "LIFE". I AM scarred for "LIFE" and "LIFE" IS BEAUTIFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment